So far Trump has:
- Bombed Syria despite being vociferously against President Obama doing that.
- Come out in support of the Ex-Im bank
- Said that NATO is important and not obsolete, as he had previously claimed
- Declined to end President Obama's DACA program
- Declined to label China a currency manipulator
- Declined to overhaul the H1-B program
- Picked the pro-immigration pro-Globalization economist Kevin Hassett to become Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisors
Kushner currently appears to be winning an alleged power struggle with Trump advisor, Breitbart chief and economic (white) nationalist Steve Bannon. Who can tell how all of these battles will end? We're just the grass trying not to be trampled while the elephants fight. I do know that some of Trump's more verbal and vitriolic conservative supporters are cooling to him. For some the Syria attack was confirmation that Trump had either been corrupted by the Washington establishment or even worse never had the slightest intention on following through on his campaign promises that were most important to them. It's still very early. No supporter of any President ever gets everything that he wants.
Still I thought it was interesting that having being denied by doctrinaire conservatives a chance to greatly wound ObamaCare, Trump responded by pushing initiatives which many hardcore conservatives, including his base, do not support. It could be an indication that the President takes all opposition personally and doesn't really have any strong ideological convictions. Maybe he's trying to stick it to conservatives. Or maybe Trump really does repeat whatever the last smart person he talked to told him. Perhaps he's just an incoherent blowhard with a deep need to be considered smart and competent. Who knows? It does show that at least as far as the establishment is concerned on the issues they care about, Trump is not as much of a bull in the china shop as some people, supporters and detractors, thought he would be. On some issues, people who are willing to talk to Trump get some of what they want. There might be a lesson there. Of course if Trump pivots too far from his previously stated beliefs there will be fury in hell. We shall see.