Friday, November 2, 2012

Urban Beat: ING New York City Marathon Cancelled

 
The ING New York City Marathon has been Cancelled
 
 
 
The New York City Marathon - scheduled for Sunday - was called off Friday due to lingering effects from Superstorm Sandy, the city's mayor said.
 
Mayor Michael Bloomberg had said earlier in the week the race would go on - despite transportation, power and other issues - contending, among other things, that businesses could use the economic boost the event provides.

"While holding the race would not require diverting resources from the recovery effort, it is clear that it has become the source of controversy and division," Bloomberg said Friday in a statement. "We would not want a cloud to hang over the race or its participants, and so we have decided to cancel it."
First held in 1970, the New York City Marathon now attracts about 47,000 runners and 12,000 volunteers - not to mention an estimated 2.5 million spectators who annually line the course, which goes through all five city boroughs.

While there has been significant progress since Sandy, large swaths of the city remain without power and public transit options remain limited.



Thoughts.......
 
 

blog comments powered by Disqus